Luxury and Convenience for this Complex 4-story, 4-stop Elevator Addition in McLean, Virginia
This complicated elevator addition proved to be too challenging for many contractors, but a perfect fit for the experienced team of Glickman Design Build.
Four other contractors were called but could not find a good solution for this 4-story Northern Virginia home. One company proposed a 4-stop elevator addition plan that cost more and would not work well compared to the Glickman solution.
The elevator was a convenience that was very important to them.
The homeowner, a top executive with a large defense contracting firm in the area, originally thought that based on the size of the home, they may need even two elevators to accomplish their goals. But the Glickman team found a one elevator solution.
PROPOSED ELEVATION AND ELEVATOR PLAN AND RENDERING
The project was quite complex and required unique solutions in a variety of ways –
- A structure had to be designed which would not require cutting into the master bedroom space because it would have been costly to reframe and refinish the existing master bedroom coffered ceiling.
- The elevator structure had to be freestanding because it was built next to a chimney and could not be attached to the chimney to be used as a support structure. So it needed to be built with steel, wood framing and brick that had to match the existing brick.
- It required matching the existing slate roof.
- Major structural work was required to tie the new structure into the roof and create a finished access pathway in the attic from the elevator lobby into the existing finished area.
- It required a complex drainage solution because it was resting on an underground spring.
This elevator addition could not have turned out more beautiful and seamless with the existing structure. The homeowner selected a very high-end elevator adorned with mirrors, beveled edges and gorgeous brass. The trims especially the floor with inlays are spectacular. Functionality also wasn’t spared as the elevator featured auto-open doors. The homeowners couldn’t be more thrilled with their elevator addition that truly exceeded all of their expectations.
“Glickman Design Build built an elevator system for our existing house. The biggest part of the effort was to construct a 4-story extension building of our current house for the elevator. The elevator part was actually the smallest part of the effort. The end result was excellent. The building looks exactly like the existing brick structure. The elevator works perfectly. Glickman was willing to follow up after completion to address any issues that surfaced. This was a fairly complex undertaking. The project took about a year and the cost was as expected. – Gary M., McLean VA”
Click the link for a copy of this case study: